2002 Aug 26 19:15

Re: [vox] Speaker needed for Sept. 16th meeting

Re: [vox] Speaker needed for Sept. 16th meeting

Our Linux based systems are a litte bit more sophisticated than this.
1) They do not have floppy disk drives.
2) They do not have hard drives
3) They do not have CDROM drives
4) They have all of the BIOS boot options disabled except for the NIC
5) The NIC has an EPROM that loads a system from the network and uses it.

If they disconnect it from the network, it does not boot and they cant use
it. If they bring in their own system to have it boot from it, then that
is like them bringing in a laptop of their own anyway, so we dont care.

Of course the cases are locked, but locks can be picked or broken, but...

Stealing the computer is rather useless as there is no data on the client
Linux system when powered down. There is not "stateful" data. There is a
RAM Disk.

The concrete option is a good one, but we dont have a budget for it this
FY. Maybe next year... ;-)

-ME