2002 Aug 26 19:15

Re: [vox] Speaker needed for Sept. 16th meeting

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:14:39PM -0700, Ryan wrote:

> At the lilo screen hit 'esc' then type linux 1
>
> <aol mail guy>you've got root</aol mail guy>
>
> run passwd
>
> I also know how to stop this.

  * Lock LILO down with a password.

Ah, but then they can boot off of a floppy or CDROM!

  * Set your BIOS to boot off of HD first, not floppy or CDROM.

Ah, but then they can "Press [Del] for setup" to alter the BIOS.

  * Lock BIOS down with a password.

Ah, but then they can yank the BIOS battery out, or something:

  * Physically lock your computer's case.

Or perhaps unplug the computer for a few days to let the BIOS battery
drain.  Or better yet, steal the computer altogether and break the
lock at their lesiure, to get to your hard disk...

  * Lock the room your computer is in.

And then, of course, for those REALLY worried:

Maybe they can hack in over a network:

  * Unplug the network cable to the computer.

Or break into the locked room:

  * Fill the room with concrete.

;)

Hey - wasn't Rusty going to do a talk on Physical Security at some point?

Maybe it's time to harass everyone on:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/tba/

(Some of whom I did at LinuxWorld the other week)