2002 Aug 26 18:11

Re: [vox] [OT] Learning to program

Just to add a couple of pennies from my own experience...

I learned a variety of assembler/machine languages before C,
and as a result have no problem understanding concepts such
as pointers.  IMO this is one of the keys to becoming a
truly proficient programmer.  You've got to understand the
machine.

This is a whole different issue from self-taught versus
classroom learning.  In my observation, anyone who cannot
pick things up by RTFM will never be a good programmer.
If you are such a person, I'd *strongly* encourage you to
consider a different career.

Classes *are* good for learning high level concepts, but
technology will continue to evolve rapidly after the classes
are over.  Then it will be just you and the FM (including,
of course, what you can dig up from the Net).

Cheers,

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/