2002 Aug 26 10:13

Re: [vox] [OT] Learning to program

There are some advantages to taking classes depending on your
personality.  Taking programming courses from a community
college is a reasonable way to get started.  Many people have
problems with the idea of pointers.  They can use them, but
their usage is not internalized until they have had a class
in C that makes them learn some of the subtleties and an
assembly course that shows what a pointer really is.

The problem with some self taught programmers is their
breadth of understanding which you can get from applying
yourself to good computer science program.

Joel

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 01:38:38PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> matthew johnson writes:
>  > Found that very interesting too :).
>  >
>  > Thanks for sharing!
>  >
>  > To learn to programming, which is the best way? I'm an OK learner by
>  > myself, but not the best (find it better and easier to have a teacher who
>  > knows his or her stuff to ask the annoying questions to).
>
> It's cheapest to learn on your own - but effective *only* with the
> proper materials. You may find it best to do this, and have people on
> hand who are knowledgeable for just answering questions.

[...]