January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 26 09:19

Re: [vox] Maddog -- advocacy opportunities

on Wed, Aug 21, 2002, Foo Lim (foo@joshuatree.cs.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> > > We've had similarly good results with other tools, including:
> > >
> > >    - cygwin
> > >    - PuTTY
> > >    - Mozilla
> > >    - OpenOffice
> > >
> > > Hmm...it would be useful to have a good compendium of Free Software
> > > available for Legacy MS Windows.  Quick Google results don't turn up a
> > > handy reference.  Anyone?
> >
> > i really like this idea.   should this be something we want to have on
> > the lugod website?  or do people think it's bad juju to even say "well
> > if you're not going to install linux, at least check out this software
> > for you windows machine".
> >
> > i'm all for it, myself.
> >
> > pete
>
> I think it's a good idea.  It gets people thinking about Free Software.

Misquoting Rich Morin (the "Meta" project guy:
http://cantaforda.com/cfcl/rdm/) quoting somebody:  "free software is the
low order bit".  The really important meme here is free software, and
promoting it.  Even if it's running on proprietary systems.  Remember
that GNU lived on SunOS, Solaris, HPUX, AIX, SCO, and whatnot, long
before GNU/Linux emerged (though Linux certainly gave the GNU project a
strong kick).

I'm with Tim O'Reilly in promoting use of free software use on
proprietary platforms, particularly when this begins to open the
migration path to alternatives.  It's subverting the dominant paradigm.

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html