2002 Aug 25 23:03

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> advice 1: choosing a program
> ============================
> the best advice i can give you is to forget about "berkeley".   when
> considering grad school, go after a professor, not a name for a school.

As someone who completed their master's degree (at UCD) in a record 3.5
years [1], I second this in spades.  Having a professor on my side made
everything go much easier.  In my case, I may have had too much fun with
my cross-disciplinary thesis, as my professor began to lose patience after
about 3 years. ;)

A graduate degree is kind of like an apprenticeship... your choice
of mentor is crucial.

[...]

> begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> > Since this list is likely to have a few students who have enrolled into
> > graduate programs (MS/PhD) I figure this would be a good place to tap to
> > suggestions.
> >
> > In about 2 years, I would like to apply for the PhD program at Berkeley
> > for Computer Science. Suggestions on "things to do" and "when to do
> > them" would be greatly enjoyed by me. :-D
> >
> > If you have found any items that have helped you to gain admission into
> > semi-exclusive programs, I would like to hear them. The ideas do not even
> > have to be specific to CS.
> >
> > Suggestions for GRE are also welcome. (Aids, things that have helped you,
> > and techniques in taking the test.)

GRE?

I guess some programs need to weed the applicants... I skipped it... my
prof may have waived it for me.  I can't say yours will, but who knows.

[1] MS nominally takes 1 yr, most take 1.5 yrs.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing