January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 25 23:06

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

begin Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com>
> I both agree with and disagree with the responses so far, but my field is
> neither CS nor physics.  My field is philosophy and law.
>
> I see things differently from Pete as to name and reputation.  I think that
> the University of California is overrated as far as undergraduate education
> is concerned.

whoa.  i never said this.  i totally think it's waay over-rated for
undergrad work.   the best education i've ever seen is at teaching
schools like SFSU, not research schools like a UC.

> As far as a Ph.D is concerned for many programs, if not all or
> most, a degree from Berkeley is very valuable as far as getting a teaching
> job.

true.  but only to a point.  a person's dissertation, postdocs (which i
don't think philosophy and law people need to cope with) and advisor are
very important as well.

> I do not know how important the Statement of Purpose is in CS, but it can be
> very important in some programs.  If I were trying to get into graduate
> school, I would seek out help from someone in the academic establishment on
> the Statement of Purpose.

ah.  forgot about that.  being as specific as possible on your statement
of purpose is good.  schools like to see people who know where they want
to go.

pete