2002 Aug 25 21:45

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

Re: [vox] OT: Questions on Application to Graduate programs...

I both agree with and disagree with the responses so far, but my field is
neither CS nor physics.  My field is philosophy and law.

I see things differently from Pete as to name and reputation.  I think that
the University of California is overrated as far as undergraduate education
is concerned.  As far as a Ph.D is concerned for many programs, if not all or
most, a degree from Berkeley is very valuable as far as getting a teaching
job.  Now it may be that a Berkeley Ph.D is overvalued, but the fact is that
is a good ticket to finding a teaching job.

There are also a lot of distractions in Berkeley that might make it difficult
to keep one's mind on one's work.

I did the Stanley Kaplan course to prepare for the GRE, and I did a do it
yourself book for the LSAT.  Seeing how I was in Vietnam when I studied for
and took the LSAT, there was not much more I could do.  For me, the book was
a disaster.  I focused on the stuff I was poorest at, and that stuff was not
even on the exam.

I agree with Nicole that practice on the logic games helps.  However, you may
reach a point of diminishing returns where you hit your limit of ability on
logic games, and no more practice helps.

I do not know how important the Statement of Purpose is in CS, but it can be
very important in some programs.  If I were trying to get into graduate
school, I would seek out help from someone in the academic establishment on
the Statement of Purpose.

Bob