2002 Aug 24 12:21

Re: [vox] [mk@itdc.edu: Linux Question]

Hi Mary -

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 05:00:32PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> I was excited to learn about how linux is being using in schools while I
> was at LinuxWorld last week.

Heh - I wonder if you saw one of my latest projects, "Tux Paint", at the
Open Source Education Foundation (OSEF) booth. ;)

> I have recently moved back to California and am
> in the process of building up my contacts.

Welcome back.  Groups like LUGOD are great places to network, as well as
meet new friends.

> While I am in the training business, my passion is getting affordable
> computing to K-12 schools.

Excellent!

> So, I am very interesting in finding CA schools and municipalities that
> have "embraced" linux as a replacement for microsoft or apple.  I want
> to learn about their experiences and figure out a way to help in the
> transition for other schools.  Do you know of any or of any one that
> might be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm not too familiar with specific installations of Linux in (K-12) schools,
but I have a lot of pointers that may help you in your quest:
(in no particular order...)

  OSEF - Open Source Education Foundation
  Works in conjunction with a global development community focused on K-12
  education.
  http://www.osef.org/

  SEUL/edu - Simple End User Linux - education group
  A discussion group for those interested in using Linux for education.
  This covers all aspects of educational uses of Linux, by teachers,
  parents, and students.
  http://seul.org/edu/

  Schoolforge
  Their mission is to unify independent orgs that advocate, use, and develop
  open resources for primary and secondary education.
  http://www.schoolforge.net

  Linux For Kids
  A collection of links and reviews of educational software for Linux.
  [ seems stale and unupdated :^( ]
  http://www.linuxforkids.org

  Open Source Schools
  "To foster the adoption and successful use of free and open source solutions
  in education."
  http://opensourceschools.org/

  LTSP - Linux Terminal Server Project
  "Linux makes a great platform for deploying diskless workstations that boot
  from a network server. The LTSP is all about running thin client computers
  in a GNU/Linux environment."
  http://www.ltsp.org/

Good luck and enjoy!  If you feel like discussing this more with our
group, I encourage you to sign up for our "vox" mailing list:

And, of course, check out the mailing lists of the other various groups
I mentioned above.  (And keep on the look out for more!)

-bill!
pr@lugod.org / webmaster@lugod.org                  bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.lugod.org/                        http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/
Linux Users' Group of Davis                                New Breed Software