2002 Aug 21 02:43

Re: [vox] Maddog -- advocacy opportunities

Re: [vox] Maddog -- advocacy opportunities

begin Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> Along with all the questions I *did* have time to ask at Monday's
> meeting, a couple of points I didn't get to...
>
> For advocacy opportunities, the BSA runs "software piracy amnesty"
> campaigns.  These occur quarterly, and what happens is that various
> national territories (e.g.:  NE, SE, MW, North Plains, Rockies, SW, NW)
> have a couple of targeted metro areas.  These campaigns are coordinated
> with marketing efforts from major BSA members, typically Microsoft,
> Adobe, and others.
>
> For a sample press release from January, 2002:
>
>     http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,78226,00.asp

that's pathetic...

> We've had similarly good results with other tools, including:
>
>    - cygwin
>    - PuTTY
>    - Mozilla
>    - OpenOffice
>
> Hmm...it would be useful to have a good compendium of Free Software
> available for Legacy MS Windows.  Quick Google results don't turn up a
> handy reference.  Anyone?

i really like this idea.   should this be something we want to have on
the lugod website?  or do people think it's bad juju to even say "well
if you're not going to install linux, at least check out this software
for you windows machine".

i'm all for it, myself.

pete