2002 Aug 21 02:40

[vox] Maddog -- advocacy opportunities

Along with all the questions I *did* have time to ask at Monday's
meeting, a couple of points I didn't get to...

For advocacy opportunities, the BSA runs "software piracy amnesty"
campaigns.  These occur quarterly, and what happens is that various
national territories (e.g.:  NE, SE, MW, North Plains, Rockies, SW, NW)
have a couple of targeted metro areas.  These campaigns are coordinated
with marketing efforts from major BSA members, typically Microsoft,
Adobe, and others.

For a sample press release from January, 2002:

The events are really a full-court press -- newspaper, radio, and
presumably (I don't own one, can't tell) TV ads, plus magazine and
newspaper articles.

I've thought that these are a great opportunity to get some public
airtime on public radio -- KQED in San Francisco has a "Perspective"
series of items in which the community can air a viewpoint.  Something
to the extent of "you can get this monkey off your back" would be great.

   http://www.kqed.org/radio/perspectives/submissions.html

KXJX/KXPR in Sacramento should have something similar, or whatever your
planet's equivalent is.

The other point was to emphasize what Maddog said about advocating free
software, even on Legacy MS Windows.  I work for a web design shop.
Sure, our services are GNU/Linux, and most of the tech staff runs
GNU/Linux, but the admin and designer systems are largely Legacy MS
Windows (and a smattering of Macs).  But when a salesman asked for
Photoshop to be able to view PSDs he was getting from client/prospects,
the $650 expenditure for a file viewer seemed steep.  I pulled up the
GIMP on my GNU/Linux box, and sure enough, it handled the format with no
problems.  Next, to VMWare, where I've got WinGIMP installed on my
(little used) XP system there.  Likewise.

Ten minutes later, the Jailers of Dmitry were down one sale, with a
fully legal install of WinGIMP on a sales desktop.

We've had similarly good results with other tools, including:

   - cygwin
   - PuTTY
   - Mozilla
   - OpenOffice

...there's a lot of quality free software available for Legacy MS
Windows.  By all means, promote it -- if for no other reason than it
makes the potential transition to a superior OS smoother.

Hmm...it would be useful to have a good compendium of Free Software
available for Legacy MS Windows.  Quick Google results don't turn up a
handy reference.  Anyone?

Peace.

   How to unwedge / disable your X display manager login:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html