2002 Aug 19 23:56

Re: [vox] [OT] unformatting a FAT partition?

Re: [vox] [OT] unformatting a FAT partition?

Yep.  What Ryan said.

I'm in Japan again, and they gave me a computer I can use.  It had
Japanese Windows.  I noticed the username of the computer is the username
of a worker that quit the job several months ago, so I formatted it so I
can install English Windows.  Then they told me the computer is normally
used as the file server for the business department.  D'oh!

But no biggie.  They got all files backed up.  I just wanna save 'em some
trouble by restoring the system.  I'm sure I can fudge through Japanese
Windows... somehow.

BTW, I found a unformat program. So far, it's found 2397 directories and
201 files, and still chugging along on a 12GB hard drive.  Here's the URL
if someone wants it:

   http://dos.li5.org/downloads/rec.htm

Of course, the final result is to be seen...

-Mark

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Ryan wrote:

> On Sunday 18 August 2002 11:50 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > mark, i feel a little dumb for asking this, but i what does it mean to
> > unformat a fat partition?
>
> I *THINK* it restores data after an accidental format.
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Fingerprint: 3B30 C6BE B1C6 9526 7A90  34E7 11DF 44F3 7217 7BC7
> On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177BC7`
> Also available at http://www.cal.net/~ryan/ryan_at_mother_dot_com.asc

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.