2002 Aug 17 11:53

Re: [vox] For the Sysadmins out there

--- "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
wrote:
> This is a question regarding network policies in
> general, and it's a simple
> one -- more philosophical than technical.
>
> Let's say that you're administering a network of
> about 100 users.  In addition
> to a large shared directory which all users have
> access to, each user has
> their own directory in the network.  Many files
> which are used frequently by
> several users are all stored in the shared directory
> (e.g., correspondence
> templates, tracking spreadsheets, common databases,
> etc.).  Would it be your
> policy, as is apparently the policy of the sysadmin
> where I'm working right
> now, to encourage users to NOT save important shared
> documents in the shared
> drive, but in their own user directories -- which,
> of course, are not shared
> out to the other users?  If so, why?  I really want
> to know if there is sense
> to this policy before I laugh too loudly.
>
> Is it relevant that this is a Win2K network?
>

> --
> Slainte,
> Richard S. Crawford
>
> mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com
> http://www.mossroot.com
> AIM:  Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Yahoo!: rscrawford
> MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com
>
> "It is only with the heart that we see rightly; what
> is essential is
> invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupery
>
> vi vi vi - the editor of the beast

As a matter of security I would save it twice. Once on
a personal directory and once in the shared... The
only reason I can think of is if the documents are
NDA, such as contract templates and stuff. so they
arnt easily accessable to anyone walking onsite with a
802.11 War scanner

=====
Hans Uhlig
Deathguard@yahoo.com
"Life is a long and Lonely Road,
 Brind a friend - Ashar Babbage, Clan Tremere"