2002 Aug 14 16:38

Re: [vox] lugod faq update: broadband in davis

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> 1. what's the deal with SBC and PPOE (my service doesn't use PPOE, so i
>    don't know much about this topic).

Back when I was in Davis and moved to a new place, I thought I had to use
PPPoE.  I installed Mandrake 8.1 at the time, and the whole thing worked
right after installation (after I figured out what my username and
password was supposed to be.)  Mandrake comes with Roaring Penguin PPPoE.

But then I found out I still had static IP.  I just had to find the right
person to tell me the IP address.  Man, I miss those days -- I had static
IP for $40/mo.  Now I got DHCP dynamic IP for $50/mo.

> 2. are there other broadband options besides sbc/dsl and omsoft/dsl?

There's a wireless DSL service in Sacramento that was supposed to expand
to Davis.  I forgot their name and what their expansion schedule was.

> 3. pointers on getting sbc/dsl PPOE working.  i know that jeff newmiller
>    posted an extensive email on this subject, but i'm not finding it in
>    the archives.
>
> 4. anything of relevence that we should put in the FAQ.

   1. Always order DSL ahead of time.

   2. If you move before the end of your contract (generally 1 year),
      you're generally required to renew the contract from the
      start (your 1 year starts over.)  And 1 year generally means
      365 days to 365 days plus one month, thanks to Pacbell's horrible
      way of keeping track of your DSL installation dates.

   3. If you move out of Davis, you can transfer DSL to an existing
      phoneline elsewhere.  For example, if you move back in with your
      parents, you can transfer DSL to your parents' phoneline, provided
      they use Pacbell and don't already have DSL, and DSL is offered
      in their area.  If they don't have Pacbell as their carrier or
      if DSL isn't offered in the area, you can get out of the contract.
      If they have Pacbell and already have DSL, you can't get out of
      the contract.

      If you choose to transfer DSL to your parents' place, Pacbell
      may tell you that the phoneline in your parents' place needs to
      be under your name, or your parents need to approve the transfer.
      So it'll be a little headache, but you'll have to get your
      parents to call Pacbell ahead of time to approve the transfer.
      There will be lots of confusion.  It's a lot easier if you have
      your own line under your name at your parents' place.

-Mark "been there, done that, what a nightmare, but still miss it" Kim

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/