January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 14 16:33

Re: [vox] lugod faq update: broadband in davis

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hola,
>
> i updated the LUGOD FAQ today.  a section on "the davis area".  one
> topic i included is "getting broadband in davis".
>
> i did a search on "DSL" in the mailing list archives, but the search
> engine needs a little TLC right now.
>
> if someone is so inclined, i'd appreciate some input for this section.
> some topics off the top of my head:
>
> 1. what's the deal with SBC and PPOE (my service doesn't use PPOE, so i
>    don't know much about this topic).

If you pay SBC for "home" service, you get PPPoE.  If you pay for
"business" service, you get several static IPs.  Omsoft also has
a dynamic ip option (PPPoE) for a few dollars less per month than the
single static IP pricing.  I don't think SBC offers single static IPs.

PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) is supported quite nicely under Linux using
Roaring Penguin's PPPoE package.  In kernel 2.2, RP-PPPoE has to run in
user-space, but in the 2.4 kernel, it can work with the pppoe kernel
driver. I have encountered and set up both, but have not had to "live"
with them.

Static ip is much nicer, and (depending on your service agreement) you get
the option of providing external services to the web.  (That is possible
using dynamic ip, but is quite a pain).

> 2. are there other broadband options besides sbc/dsl and omsoft/dsl?

I suppose there is DirectTV (satellite down, modem out), but I don't know
any linuxers using it.

Starband has satellite down and up, with 400kbps+ both directions, but
2 second roundtrip latency - forget online games.

If and when cable shows up... they almost always use DHCP instead of
pppoe, but watch the service agreements... they can be draconian. (Also
their bandwidth is much more variable than DSL).

> 3. pointers on getting sbc/dsl PPOE working.  i know that jeff newmiller
>    posted an extensive email on this subject, but i'm not finding it in
>    the archives.

I don't recall writing any extensive emails on PPPoE, though I have posted
on my experiences with DSL before.  I have noticed and complained about an
unpleasant tendency for SBC to hand out "pci-atm" cards for which there is
almost never any Linux support. (To be more precise, I know of only one
atm card for which there is any linux support, and that is through a buggy
manufacturer-supplied driver.) Whatever you do, get an external "DSL
modem" with an ethernet output... no usb, no atm.

I have used the Bering "LEAF" distribution (http://www.leaf-project.org)
to help someone get PPPoE working recently, following the instructions in
the Bering Installation manual and Bering User's Manual.  I found those
instructions to be very plug-and-chug, and they ended up with a separate
firewall box that provides fewer opportunities for a slip-up in security.

With regard to installing pppoe... it is probably packaged for your
distribution.  Make sure your NIC driver is loaded (check "dmesg"), and
then follow instructions for your version of PPPoE.  The RP-PPPoE is kind
of heavy on the cpu... I don't know if the kernel version performs better.
Debian's ifupdown package is very nice... has built-in support to invoke
ppp for dialup or pppoe if you configure "/etc/networking/interfaces"
correctly (see manpage).

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/ (intimidating, but a good reference)

> 4. anything of relevence that we should put in the FAQ.

Verify that your system is hardened before you bring it online... in some
cases an automated scanner can "root" you while you try to remember your
password.  Have passwords (!), no ftp servers, clear out CGIs, disable
"echo" service, put "ALL: ALL" in host.deny... you want to go OUT, not let
people IN, until you know who you are letting in and what you are letting
them do.

Debian: apt-get install harden-doc
Redhat: http://www.sans.org/newlook/projects/bastille_linux.htm

others?