2002 Aug 11 10:47

OT Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 01:29:00PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):
>
> > In the absence of hard facts, it is often acceptible to state one's
> > belief or opinion, based on personal observations.
>
> So, do you think "Linux is gaining ground in the server arena and not on
> the desktop" sounds like someone's "belief or opinion", or an assertion of
> fact?  I'm curious.

This is what we are lead to believe from so many computer articles over
the past 2-4 years. All those tech reporters gotta be right?  :)

I am so tired of the same old computer articles like:
"Linux will never make it on the desktop"
"Linux will rule th desktop"
"Linux replacing low-medium range servers"
yadda yadda yadda

The latest article that I read just this morning has Sun software chief
Jonathan Schwartz (with a title like that he must be right, eh?) stating
that "Free source is like a free puppy"

Someone please stop the analogies, the similies, the metaphors!!!