2002 Aug 10 14:48

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

andy wergedal writes:
 > Defending myself is not my favorite pastime. I was simply
 > stating factual informaiton from my personal point of view.
 >
 > The main point of my statements in this thread, were to
 > point out that because of my employment choices I am tied
 > to Microsoft's OS and Office offerings, nothing more or
 > less.
 >
 > In case my integrity is still challenged...
 >
 > I worked for GDS (Global Distribution Center for HP) for
 > the last two years. Once HP accepted Linux as a strategic
 > OS (along with windows and HPUX) we shipped 90% linux
 > servers and 10% linux desktops. The volume of transactions
 > that I was personally involved with was in the around
 > 45,000 boxes in 45 countries. (I feel that this volume is
 > at least a representitive sample of the market, and so my
 > opinion should be considered) Even if 50% of all the
 > desktops sold were converted to Linux after the purchase,
 > the majority is not linux. Hence my personal opinion, which
 > you are welcome to disagree with.
 >
 > -- Andy

It's worth pointing out, however, that not having much desktop ground,
and not *gaining* desktop ground, are very different things. It seemed
to me (and to Rick, I believe), that your point was the latter. If it
were the former, I'd certainly agree with you.

However, I strongly disagree with Rick's seeming attack on your
expressing your opinion, which did indeed strike me more as opinion as
a statement of undeniable fact, which is apparently how he has taken it.

-Micah