2002 Aug 10 14:48

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Rick Moen writes:
 > Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):
 >
 > > I believe the quote from me above rather implies the answer to your
 > > question.
 >
 > This is more than a little confusing, I'm afraid -- since the quotation
 > discussed was from Mr. Andy Wergedal, not you.

Actually, it wasn't - check again, it was mine. (It does, in fact, say
"Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name)").

 > > "Belief or opinion", naturally. As you so lucidly pointed
 > > out, who could back it up with facts?
 >
 > Hmm, you seem to have changed the subject, here.  My question was:
 >
 >    So, do you think "Linux is gaining ground in the server arena and not
 >    on the desktop" sounds like someone's "belief or opinion", or an
 >    assertion of fact?

And again, I say: "belief or opinion".  In what way is that not an
answer to your two-answer question?  It certainly appears to be in the
enumeration set :)

 > > No. But I find plenty whose motto is apparently "the One Right Tool
 > > for any job".
 >
 > Oh, do tell, please!  I'm just an easily confused techie, unable to
 > understand without examples the sweeping, grand truths often vouchsafed
 > to us:  To my inadequate powers of comprehension, they seem
 > indistinguishable from empty rhetoric.
 >
 > So, I await your specific examples with great interest.

Perhaps it's about time to use an old Rick Moen standby when others
have asked similar from you - "I'm not your research service".

Are you really claiming you don't know anybody who blindly applies a
tool to a problem for which there are clearly better tools around?  I
know plenty.  In fact, just about everyone who uses IIS or SQL
Server... :)

Clearly, you have not been to comp.lang.python, or for that matter,
comp.os.linux.advocacy anytime recently... there are plenty of people
who are clearly convinced that they have the "One Right Tool" for any
job.

-Micah