2002 Aug 09 22:58

Re: [vox] need help with an url

Quoting Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us):

>> You know, the most definitive tool for investigating such things is good
>> ol' /usr/bin/telnet.
>
> Most definitive? What about http://validator.w3.org/?

The key word was _investigating_.

If one types a suitable HTTP query and gets something reasonable sent
back over the return channel, then by definition the Web server is
functional and is senting back a proper response.  I was assuming one
would check the return value visually.

My point was that using simple Unix tools to examine protocols directly
is a useful investigative tool.  Using netcat would probably be even
better.

--
Cheers,                              "Azathoth need not be present to win."
Rick Moen                                       -- Charles O. Baucum, Jr.