January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 09 22:09

Re: [vox] Fry's has Linux PCs!

While it is indeed remarkable that these computers come with an installed
non-MS OS, what is truly remarkable is that these guys are probably
one of a very few companies selling pre-built computers with a real modem
inside!  To me there is something respectable about the fact that to sell
a linux box they must have done a bit of research when picking components.

ThizLinux is the distribution (I believe) found on the $299 PCs at
walmart.

There is a very nice write up of a similar distribution (by similar I
mean both are desktop oriented/ease of use emphasis) called Lycoris LX
(http://www.lycoris.com/) in the August PCWorld.  The website for this
distro looks real neat, as do the screenshots.  The XPishness makes me
kinda queezy.

PCWorld has printed a shockingly but appropriatly objective story
about linux in each of the last three issues.

I don't know how I feel about easy to install "friendly" distros.  It's
kind of a "can't live with 'em, not sure we'll survive without 'em"
scenario.

There's kind of a struggle in my soul between evangelism and exclusivity
where linux is involved.  "Yeah, everyone should use linux, but if your
desktop looks like mine ..."

dave