January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 09 14:48

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Quoting andy wergedal (awerg@yahoo.com):

> The embedded graphics, charts, spreadsheets and tables that
> my international clients send me.

Those are _non-MS-Word_ COM objects.  So, meeting your compatibility
requirements requires (if I understand the technology correctly) not
just the ability to read MS-Word documents, but also simultaneous
support for several other Microsoft Corporation applications _plus_ the
entire COM component-software framework.

I'm not saying that to be critical, but rather to properly characterise
what your announced needs seem to be.  In effect, you're not just on the
Microsoft Corporation treadmill; you're riveted to it.

VMware, Win4Lin, or dual-booting would still work for you, unless and
until Microsoft Corporation sabotages them.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm