2002 Aug 09 11:29

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Re: [vox] word processing software (was: visio on linux)

Quoting Henry House (hajhouse@houseag.com):

> StarOffice 6.0 (not OpenOffice) and Hancom Office (not OO) handle
> Chinese, Japanese, and Korean better than anything short of high-end
> proprietary page layout packages made exclusively for the Asian
> market. LaTeX can handle anything and produces better output than any
> WYSIWYG program. AbiWord is rapidly catching up the MS word in
> multi-lingual capabilities.

AbiWord rocks a bit more with every passing day -- and still only
requires 6 MB of RAM to launch.  Incredible.  About the only really
notable word processor feature it's missing is table support, which
they deferred until after the recent 1.0 milestone.  Last I heard,
that code was in CVS, and being tested.

--
Cheers,             We write precisely            We say exactly
Rick Moen           Since such is our habit in    How to do a thing or how