2002 Aug 09 06:08

Re: [vox] visio on linux

Quoting andy wergedal (awerg@yahoo.com):

> MS word does multi-language better than any of the others,
> (open office, star office, 602, koffice)

Possibly.  However, one you didn't list, Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux,
has the following ten very well carried-out localisations available:
US English, French, UK English, German, Canadian English, Canadian
French, Australian English, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch.  Do you need
ones that aren't on that list?

You can get the base WP 8.0 Download Edition and all localisation files
(and a wrapper script required to fix its MS-Word filter) free of
charge, mirrored here:  http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/apps/  (Corel
put all of those files up for free-of-charge download.)

FAQ is here:  http://linuxmafia.com/wpfaq/

> The main reason that I have to (begrudgingly) use a windows
> laptop is because our application runs on IIS with a SQL
> Server back end.

Me, I'd run those under VMware, just so I could have a decent OS as my
primary desktop environment.  (I'm assuming the problem is that IIS and
SQL Server must run _on_ the laptop.  Otherwise, it's not obvious why
you can't get to the NT back-end through obvious sorts of ODBC access
and such from any arbitrary client OS.)

> <Project>
> The only reason I use project is to provide Gannt charts to
> the executive steering commitees.

MS-Project is an absolutely fine program.  If you need it, you need it.

But of course, that also could run in a VMware session.  (Dual-boot's
fine if you're short on RAM and/or CPU power, but having to keep
switching back and forth is a pain.)

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers