2002 Aug 09 23:00

Re: [vox] visio on linux

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, andy wergedal wrote:

> z,
>
> I too need a replacement for ms project. (and complete
> MSWord integration).

MS Word integration is not that important to me, since I generally keep
all docs in .pdf format that are asscoiated with a project.  And to be
honest, I have gotten used to using the Sourceforge sw as well for
maintaining the docs and publishing them for a group/company use.

> (beware flamebait following)
>
> IMHO... why run a linux laptop with emulation software,
> just run windows and putty into the servers.

I don't, I use a dual boot laptop.  Most work is done in Linux, with MS
Project and Adobe Distiller on the win32-side.

> Linux is not ready for the primetime desktop of a Project
> Manager, or anyone in an executive level. Until this
> happens Linux will be relegated to the IT department where
> it is a very effective tool to solve some basic networking
> and business needs.

I disagree withthis entirely.  Much of what determines whether Linux is
suitable will be based on what you use and what features you
use.  Mr.Project is getting close to what I consider minimum usability,
and unless you are a hardcore Visio user, everything is mostly there(I am
not a big spreadsheet user, so as long as Open Office continues to play
well with .doc formats, I am good to go). Evolution is my sceduler/pim,
and I also keep random notes under thoughttracker.  Presentations are done
as html with graphics (I have an obsessive hatred of PowerPoint, because
I think most presentations can be made just as usable and 'pretty' using
lighter compenents and be effectively cross-platform....html, animated
gifs, pngs, and packaged up as zips so anyone can look at the damn thing
in the most ubiquitous app ever...a fscking browser)

That being said, it does have some ways to go before it is pound for pound
competitive.