2002 Aug 11 13:20

Re: [vox] Introduction me & TWikIWeThey

ME writes:
 > On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:28:20PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
 > > I would agree: complete trust is crazy - there's always some immature
 > > brat who thinks he's sooo 1337 by blitzing the thing. 'Course, the
 > > MULTICS answer to that was to make it so trivial to bring the whole
 > > thing crashing down that *nobody* would think it's 1337.
 > >
 > > However, that's not what we have here - if some lamer blitzes
 > > something important out of spite, they have two things:
 > >
 > >   1. A revision-control system which would let them simply undo that
 > >      change
 > >
 > >   2. A record of whodunnit :)
 > >
 > > That's enough for me. Though, if you had such a site with millions of
 > > participants, the admins might have a tough time constantly rolling
 > > back changes and kicking the lamers who did it.... might mean to just
 > > make more of the users admins, tho'...
 >
 > There is a Tee-Shirt that has been on sale at the past few DefCons that
 > really described this very well - the practice of engaging in "Denial of
 > Service" [DoS] is not 31337...
 >
 > It shows a picture of a stick figure whacking a stick figure computer
 > screen with a stick figure Big Hammer(tm) with the caption, "Far from
 > rootin'."

It is completely amazing to me how many script-kiddies don't get this
fact... that hackers - even those who are also crackers - see this as
the lowest of computer crimes, showing zero resourcefulness,
ingenuity, or 1337ness.

Total tangent: DoS used to be written DOS... that's one confusion of
terms I have no problem with :)

-Micah