2002 Aug 08 14:48

Re: [vox] Introduction me & TWikIWeThey

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:28:20PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> I would agree: complete trust is crazy - there's always some immature
> brat who thinks he's sooo 1337 by blitzing the thing. 'Course, the
> MULTICS answer to that was to make it so trivial to bring the whole
> thing crashing down that *nobody* would think it's 1337.
>
> However, that's not what we have here - if some lamer blitzes
> something important out of spite, they have two things:
>
>   1. A revision-control system which would let them simply undo that
>      change
>
>   2. A record of whodunnit :)
>
> That's enough for me. Though, if you had such a site with millions of
> participants, the admins might have a tough time constantly rolling
> back changes and kicking the lamers who did it.... might mean to just
> make more of the users admins, tho'...

There is a Tee-Shirt that has been on sale at the past few DefCons that
really described this very well - the practice of engaging in "Denial of
Service" [DoS] is not 31337...

It shows a picture of a stick figure whacking a stick figure computer
screen with a stick figure Big Hammer(tm) with the caption, "Far from
rootin'." (Play of words on that one german car commercial phrase.) I did
not recall seeing it this year, but did not look too hard at the Tees. The
one I like from this year was:

Front:
"DefCon X"
Back:
"I went to DefCon X and all I got was your lousy root password."

One high point prank this year was the "purple water fountain".

I am planning on a return next year if I can budget it. If others from
this LUG plan to go, maybe we can create our own DeathRace or merge with
others.

-ME