2002 Aug 07 20:52

Re: [vox] [ot] Damn - Slashdot rejections!

Re: [vox] [ot] Damn - Slashdot rejections!

begin Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name>
> Peter Jay Salzman writes:
>  > begin Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name>
>  > > nbs writes:
>  > >  >
>  > >  >   http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=585&ncid=585&e=9&u=/nm/20020807/sc_nm/science_temperature_dc_1
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  > > I'm not saying I think they're wrong...  but, really, is comparing the
>  > > results of only a single three-day period of "no contrails" to thirty
>  > > periods of "contrails" supposed to be scientific?
>  > >
>  > > I agree that they're a good indication, but the results are hardly
>  > > conclusive...
>  > >
>  > > Sorry... One of my pet peeves is unscientific science.
>  > >
>  > > -Micah
>  >
>  > wasn't going to comment, but guess i will.
>  >
>  > as for the thing at hand, people have been speculating about a
>  > non-constant c for over 60 years.  the thing about SR and GR is that not
>  > only are the theories mathematically complicated, very often it's nearly
>  > impossible to interpret results correctly, even when you have the
>  > correct result.
>
> Actually, that's not the thing I was commenting on (its the
> tempurature thing). The non-constant c stuff is well beyond my ability
> to appraise the likely truthfulness. There is already enough evidence
> that Einstein may be wrong,

micah, i completely disagree with you.

in fact, there is _NO_ credible evidence that einstein may be wrong.
the only things that might be suspects is an anomalous redshift we see
in certain very distant galaxies and a certain satellite which doesn't
follow an expected geodesic exactly.   both items were "newsworthy" a
few years ago and have since been dropped because we can explain them to
a physicist's satisfaction without using the crackpot words "einstein
was wrong".

special relativity is the most tested modern theory humanity has.  it
has real world applications that physicists, physical chemists and
engineers alike use.

general relativity has been tested to the 8th decimal place.  and has
real world applications, just like how engineers still use newton's
laws.

is either theory the ultimate truth?   heck no.  but then again, not too
many people think we'll ever have an ultimate truth.

is either theory a good model?  heck yes.  SR is tested every minute of
every day in particle accelerators and particle detectors around the
globe.   GR is needed to explain the minute deviation of mercury from a
keplerian orbit.  it's also needed to correct GPS; without GR, there
would be no GPS.

was einstein right?  let me put it this way:

einstein was about as right as copernicus, kepler, galileo, newton,
heisenberg, schrodinger, fenyman, yukawa and gell-man.

no more, no less.  to say anything else would be as crackpot as saying
"F = ma is useless to a mechanical engineer".

pete