2002 Aug 07 20:01

Re: [vox] [ot] Damn - Slashdot rejections!

Peter Jay Salzman writes:
 > begin Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name>
 > > nbs writes:
 > >  >
 > >  >   http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=585&ncid=585&e=9&u=/nm/20020807/sc_nm/science_temperature_dc_1
 > >  >

 > > I'm not saying I think they're wrong...  but, really, is comparing the
 > > results of only a single three-day period of "no contrails" to thirty
 > > periods of "contrails" supposed to be scientific?
 > >
 > > I agree that they're a good indication, but the results are hardly
 > > conclusive...
 > >
 > > Sorry... One of my pet peeves is unscientific science.
 > >
 > > -Micah
 >
 > wasn't going to comment, but guess i will.
 >
 > as for the thing at hand, people have been speculating about a
 > non-constant c for over 60 years.  the thing about SR and GR is that not
 > only are the theories mathematically complicated, very often it's nearly
 > impossible to interpret results correctly, even when you have the
 > correct result.

Actually, that's not the thing I was commenting on (its the
tempurature thing). The non-constant c stuff is well beyond my ability
to appraise the likely truthfulness. There is already enough evidence
that Einstein may be wrong, but I certainly don't feel up to snuff to
criticize either Einstein or his "detractors" :)

-Micah