January 6: Social gathering
2002 Aug 07 16:29

Re: [vox] [ot] Damn - Slashdot rejections!

nbs wrote:
>>I'm not saying I think they're wrong...  but, really, is comparing the
>>results of only a single three-day period of "no contrails" to thirty
>>periods of "contrails" supposed to be scientific?
>
> I was kind of wondering that, too.  I thought "three days? that's not
> too large of a sample."  But figured maybe they knew more about this
> stuff than I do. ;)

My pet peeve is decent science that gets mangled by the popular media :v)
Always remember that articles like this are filtered through the media,
i.e. all the words like "may indicate" and "imply" are removed and the
results are stated as absolute fact :v)  If you want the real results,
look up the actual publication, or at least go to a scientific media
source, i.e.:

	http://www.sciencenews.org/20020511/fob1.asp
	(btw, this was first reported several months ago)

What is effectively a single data point isn't a hard-and-fast proof,
but distinct differences appeared during that 3-day period when compared
to all the other 3-day periods for the last 30 years.  Even more
compelling, the results showed greater differences in regions of the
US that normally have more contrails when compared to regions with
fewer contrails...

				-Lynn