2002 Aug 05 16:14

[vox] Proposed addition to "Why Not MS?" page

[vox] Proposed addition to "Why Not MS?" page

I was just catching up on this weekend's Slashdot posts. While reading
the whole discussion about MS's new EULA on W2K SP3, I thought "this
should be added to the 'Why Not MS?' page". We should be doing all
we can to educate the public about the freedoms MS is trying to take
away by demanding administrator rights to everyone's Win boxes. Emphasis
should be placed on their perchance in the past for faulty patches
which render the machine unuseable, their ability to determine what
consistutes a patch or fix, their attempt to be totally absolved
of any liability for damage caused to the system and their ability
to look through at all files on the machine if they are granted admin
priviledges.

These practices of MS combined with the increased useability of the
Linux desktop will greatly help promote Linux. The biggest remaining
hurdle that I see is many people think Linux is "too difficult" to
install and administer. While the InstallFests help with the installing
part, perhaps someone looking for a little extra cash could start
up a consulting business that would handle the administration side,
such as helping clients install security patches or upgrade systems.
This goes a bit beyond LERT, as it deals with more of the day-to-
day tasks. Is there anything like that already?

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000