2002 Aug 01 15:02

[vox] [OT] phone (really, really offtopic)

[vox] [OT] phone (really, really offtopic)

i'm looking for a good phone.  if anyone has a model with these
features, please tell me its model:

essential
=========
* a good solid speakerphone
* caller ID capability
* battery _and_ wall socket capability
* ability to turn the ringer completely off
* a volume control that can make discussions unbearably loud down to
  completely inaudible.
* when you dial a number, the dialtones don't "bounce" as if the contact
  being made is poor.

features i don't care about
===========================
cordless operation: i hate talking on (and to) cordless phones.
voice mail boxes:  i just don't use them.
answering phone:  i already have one.

i'm having trouble finding a phone with all these features.  most of
what i'm finding is some subset.  the closest thing i found is a COBY
CT-P840, but the speakerphone is very weak[1], the buttons don't work
well and i can't turn off the ringer.

recommendations?

pete

[1]: i _never_ talk to anyone on a speakerphone.  however, i'm often
placed on hold, and a good loud speaker phone lets me do "stuff" while
i'm waiting without having to have something glued to my ear.

--
Please don't put my email address in your Outlook addressbook.