2002 Jul 29 23:57

Re: [vox] [dozakdai@hotmail.com: I am a new Linux user]

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> MP3 playing under Linux is trivial.  But for DVD playing and video
> editing, I boot into Windows98 (not that I do much video editing.)
>
> Peter knows about DVD playing; I never got a good result.  I've never been
> able to play encrypted DVDs, and the non-encrypted DVDs I've been able to
> play has always been jerky during play at best.  But Peter got a very
> smooth play working so I'm sure he can help you with it.
>
> I don't really do video editing; I just happen to have a software that
> came with my TV card I use primarily for video file type conversions.
> It's for Windows, of course.  I never looked for a video editing software
> under Linux, but I had difficulty enough just getting my TV card working.
> I've tried looking for video file type converter and never found a good
> one.  The TV player I use (xawtv) is supposed to be able to generate video
> files off of TV; it used to work but after I did a reinstall of everything
> with new versions it stopped working.  That gives you some idea on how
> reliable the video software is on Linux.
>
> I hope that gives you some idea on what lies ahead.  At least initially, I
> recommend keeping both Windows and Linux.  Anyway, WindowsME is a horrible
> OS; I recommend downgrading to Windows98 or upgrading to WindowsXP.
>
> -Mark
>
> Mark K. Kim
> http://www.cbreak.org/
> PGP key available upon request.

I agree that Windows is better suited for video editing, but you can still
do it under Linux. I was messing around with DV sampling--IEEE1394 support
is pretty good under Linux. The only touble is applications (or the lack
of them). I was messing around with Kino, which seemed to work okay, but
the command line tools work the best: dvcont and dvgrab.

There is also Video4Linux, if you have an analog card and want to sample
video. I had a Pinnacle DC10+ board (uses the Zoran chip) and I was able
to do some sampling. Once again, it's the lack of really good video
editing software that stands in your way.

Maybe we should petition Adobe to make a port of Premiere. Heck, it runs
on MacOSX, which has a BSD core, anyway. It shouldn't be *that* hard to
make work under X. I'd be willing to pay for it, for sure.

BTW: Don't get WindowsXP--find a cheap copy of Windows2K if you must go
that route. XP makes you register your computer with M$--if you don't your
OS shuts down in 45 days. You get four grace--hardware changes/OS
reinstalls, then you have to call M$ personally and ask them for a code
to unlock your machine. This was put in place to enforce their license
agreement which states one copy of WinXP per machine. Blah... That is the
sole reason why I won't install XP at home.

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson