2002 Jul 26 17:34

Re: [vox] broadband recommendations?

Basically...

   - You *can* get PacBell's DSL to work with Linux but it's a lot of
     hassle because PacBell won't give you tech support if you use Linux.
     Also, you have to install PPPoE ("PPP over Ethernet) software for
     Linux, which used to be quite a problem, but it's now widespread
     enough that it shouldn't be a problem if you poke a little.

   - Omsoft (http://www.omsoft.com/) is a great company to be the
     middle-man for you because PacBell can be such a hassle.  From what
     others say, they charge about $10 more than PacBell, but they give
     you static IP, which has a lot of advantages over PPPoE.  They also
     give you better tech support.  FYI, PacBell charges you $10 more for
     static IP anyway  (or they used to; maybe they don't offer that
     service at all now), so you're not really losing any money by going
     with Omsoft -- you just pay a bit more for static IP and better tech
     support comes for free.

-Mark

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Alexandra Thorn wrote:

> Am about to move to a new location, closer to campus, and am considering
> the possibility of subscribing to DSL or another broadband internet
> service, rather than getting a private phoneline, since what I tend to use
> a private phoneline for is dialing up to the internet anyway.
>
> I've just been poking around on the Pacific Bell website, and their form
> indicates that DSL is available for the phone number in question, but they
> don't list Linux as one of the supported operating systems.  Is this just
> them being ignorant, or are there really problems with connecting Linux
> to the internet via DSL?  What experiences have you guys had using DSL or
> other broadband connections in the Davis area?  What connection
> methods/companies do you recommend?  Any advice on ensuring relatively
> prompt connection to the internet, and what sort of time frame should I
> expect?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alex
>
> "He knows everything about nothing,
> And not very much about that.
> If you know someone who knows what he knows,
> Then you know Henry's cat."
>                            --opening song to "Henry's Cat,"
>                              (a children's cartoon I saw in England)

Mark K. Kim