2002 Jul 29 23:57

Re: [vox] [dozakdai@hotmail.com: I am a new Linux user]

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:04:17PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Dear Bill,
> Hello my name is Zach Dove

Hi Zach - This is Bill Kendrick from LUGOD.  Just in case you're confused,
Pete Salzman is the new chairperson (root) of LUGOD, so he got your
message.  He then forwarded it to "vox," our discussion mailing list.
for others to look at / comment on.

> and I have just moved to West Sacramento from Anchorage, Alaska.
> I got your email off of Linux.com's user group list.

Welcome to the area!  You'll notice it's MUCH warmer down here in the
valley. :^)  I'm glad you found us.

Just so you know, we're actually one of three LUGs in the Sacramento
area.  The other two are:

  SacLUG - The Sacramento Linux User Group
  http://www.saclug.org/

and:

  RoseLUG - The Roseville Area Linux User Group
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roselug/

There's actually quite a number of LUGs not too far from here.
Chico, Stockton/Modesto, and, of course, tons in the bay area.
Check out:

  http://www.lugod.org/newsicons/

> I would like to replace my operating system (Windows ME) with Linux.
> My reason for doing this is that windows ME keeps freezing up on me and
> I keep getting all these error messages... I am sure you have heard this
> before.

At first, I misread "Windows ME" for "Windows XP," and was going to point
out that "freezing" and "crashing" were fairly benign reasons to switch
from XP, compared to all of the licensing-, digital-rights-management-
and privacy-invasion-related issues that XP has.

Then I re-read and saw you had said "ME" not "XP."  Honestly, I almost
never remember that ME even existed. :)  It was hyped up insanely by
Microsoft, and then quickly forgotten.  Kind of like a movie that
gets SO much advertising, then bombs in the first weekend, and the
production company just gives up on it. :)

> Anyway,  I am totally new to Linux, my only experience has been
> with a friend who has Linux, but he is up in Alaska, so it is kinda hard
> for him to help me.

Well, don't worry - there's tons of us out here, and we love helping people.
:^)

All three groups have mailing lists.  LUGOD has a separate "technical"
list (vox-tech) along with our general discussion list (vox).

SacLUG's list (lug-nuts) is fairly active as well.

Perhaps when they switch from Yahoo! to a standard mailing list system,
it might get some more active subscribers.

> I would just like some advice on what would be the
> best distribution version of Linux for me to get and whether it would be
> best to download it off of the internet and install it on my own or buy
> a book at the book store that comes with the Linux operating system on cd.

It usually depends on how much you know about Linux and/or computers
in general, and how much time/effort you want to spend now, and want
to spend down the road.

I'll let others in the group continue giving you their suggestions.
I started with RedHat, which worked well enough, and eventually switched
to Debian (all three computers at home, and my computer here at work)
and am quite happy with it.

> I am going to be using my computer mostly for video editing

Linux doesn't really have much in the way of video editing software.
There's some Open Source stuff out there, I believe, and very likely
some really nice, reaaaally expensive commercial/professional stuff
available.

> and for a mp3

XMMS is an excellent MP3 player that also handles many other formats
(plays audio CDs, Amiga MOD music, MPEG video, AVI/ASF video, etc.)

It's all plug-in-based, supports skins (including WinAMP ones).
(In fact, as of recently, it now supports WinAMP plugins, thanks to the
WINE ("WINdows Emulator" aka "WINE Is Not an Emulator") project!)

> and dvd player.

I believe there's a few commercial DVD players for Linux.
I don't have a DVD drive (I use my PlayStation2 for DVDs), so I haven't
paid attention.

For a long while, the only real way of playing back DVDs, thanks to
the MPAA (Motion Picture Agency(?) of America) and the
DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) legal crap, was to use some
illegal (or at least extremely questionable) software called "DeCSS."

For more on DeCSS, just search the web.
The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation), a non-profit legal group in
San Francisco, does a lot of work in regards to this (especially trying
to keep people from going to jail over this ridiculousness).

See  http://www.eff.org/

> If you could email me back, with any advice you have, at
> your convenience I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope this has helped!  I strongly suggest subscribing to the
various Sac-area LUGs' mailing lists.  (See URLs above.)

Welcome to the area, and welcome to the Linux community!

> I will be leaving tomorrow for a week and a half, so I will try to
> contact you when I get back.  Thank you very much for your time.

Have a good trip!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/