2002 Jul 29 23:57

Re: [vox] [dozakdai@hotmail.com: I am a new Linux user]

MP3 playing under Linux is trivial.  But for DVD playing and video
editing, I boot into Windows98 (not that I do much video editing.)

Peter knows about DVD playing; I never got a good result.  I've never been
able to play encrypted DVDs, and the non-encrypted DVDs I've been able to
play has always been jerky during play at best.  But Peter got a very
smooth play working so I'm sure he can help you with it.

I don't really do video editing; I just happen to have a software that
came with my TV card I use primarily for video file type conversions.
It's for Windows, of course.  I never looked for a video editing software
under Linux, but I had difficulty enough just getting my TV card working.
I've tried looking for video file type converter and never found a good
one.  The TV player I use (xawtv) is supposed to be able to generate video
files off of TV; it used to work but after I did a reinstall of everything
with new versions it stopped working.  That gives you some idea on how
reliable the video software is on Linux.

I hope that gives you some idea on what lies ahead.  At least initially, I
recommend keeping both Windows and Linux.  Anyway, WindowsME is a horrible
OS; I recommend downgrading to Windows98 or upgrading to WindowsXP.

-Mark

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Zachariah Dove <dozakdai@hotmail.com> -----
>
> From: "Zachariah Dove" <dozakdai@hotmail.com>
> To: <root@lugod.org>
> Subject: I am a new Linux user
> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:44:47 -0700
>
> Dear Bill,
>         Hello my name is Zach Dove and I have just moved to West
> Sacramento from Anchorage, Alaska.  I got your email off of
> Linux.com's user group list.  I would like to replace my operating
> system (Windows ME) with Linux.  My reason for doing this is that
> windows ME keeps freezing up on me and I keep getting all these error
> messages... I am sure you have heard this before.  Anyway, I am
> totally new to Linux, my only experience has been with a friend who
> has Linux, but he is up in Alaska, so it is kinda hard for him to help
> me.  I would just like some advice on what would be the best
> distribution version of Linux for me to get and whether it would be
> best to download it off of the internet and install it on my own or
> buy a book at the book store that comes with the Linux operating
> system on cd.  I am going to be using my computer mostly for video
> editing and for a mp3 and dvd player.  If you could email me back,
> with any advice you have, at your convenience I would greatly
> appreciate it.  I will be leaving tomorrow for a week and a half, so I
> will try to contact you when I get back.  Thank you very much for your
> time.
> Sincerely,
>         Zach
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.