2002 Jul 26 14:57

Re: [vox] [dozakdai@hotmail.com: I am a new Linux user]

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > i thought libranet development was stalled?
>
> Maybe you're thinking of Progeny?

i knew about progeny (wasn't their installer supposed to be in woody).
just checked libranet's website.  kernel 2.4.18.   guess i was wrong.

> > i totally agree, but i think the typical end-user doesn't want to do
> > that sort of thing.
>
> On reflection, since the guy said his interests are computer use for
> "video editing and for a mp3 and dvd player" (which I didn't really
> heed the first time), he may be in for some unpleasant surprises with
> essentially any Linux distribution.  Mp3 players, yes, but between the
> interference of the MPAA/RIAA clowns and impatience of volunteer
> programmers with users wanting to be catered to in fine detail, all of
> those things on Linux can entail some considerable hassle.
>
> I'll be happy to be pleasantly surprised, but I think this guy's heading
> for a big pile of initial frustration that he probably won't have the
> patience to work through.

probably correct.  one can only hope that maybe he'll see the need,
create a portal, write a few HOWTO's, write some code and galvanize the
video-on-linux community.

nah.

pete