2002 Jul 26 13:56

Re: [vox] [dozakdai@hotmail.com: I am a new Linux user]

zach,

i think redhat, mandrake or suse would be good for you.  be prepared to
do some reading.  switching to linux comes at a price -- you need to
know about your computer.

your best bet is to go to fry's and pick up a redhat, mandrake or suse
boxed set.

they all come with books.  i've seen the book for suse recently.  it is
quite excellent.  i've heard people say that the book for redhat is
excellent too.  i'd be surprised if mandrake were any different.

between the book that comes with the distro and perhaps one other book
(one of those big books like "redhat secrets" or "the linux bible") you
should have enough in your library to learn the basics.

but do yourself a favor -- buy the distro from frys.  the documentation
it comes with will be invaluable.

pete

begin Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>