2002 Jul 25 19:34

Re: [vox] International Organization for Standardization

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:50:26PM -0700, David Margolis wrote:
> sorry for starting a new thread ... i accidently (and deservedly so)
> deleted all the relevant e-mails from the original thread.
>
> anyway, jumping way late into this already beaten dead horse, i'd just
> like to point out that ISO does not even qualify as an acronym to be
> pluralized in the context in whichit's being discuessed here.
>
> ISO is a tech-ism, and sort of like calling a Cheverolet a Chevy, ISO is
> short for _ISO 9660 image file_ or something to that effect.  and you have to
> acknowldege that the plural of the forshortaned name is sort of a double
> grammatical folly.
>
> here's an example:
>
> The military police arrested me.
> The MPs arrested me.
> (or MP's or M.P.s if you buy into anybody's "it's okay
> to be grammatically sloppy as long as it looks right" arguments)
>
> Just like in the above example, the plural is actually misleading.  there
> is no such thing as MPs, because what you mean is an implied _military
> police officers_ or something similar.  but you also wouldn't write: The
> MP arrested me and leave it up to the reader to imply the pluarlity.
>
> the plural on the ISO is implied, which is why i think the ISOs vs ISO's
> is moot.  ISOs is closer to correct, but Pete gave the most correct answer
> in his first e-mail...
>
> I have six ISO images or
> I have six ISO image files.

Shall I add yet another wrinkle to this story? Muwhahahahahaha!

According to their web site on the topic, ISO is not an acronym, or an abbreviation. It does not stand for "International Standards Organization".

According to their site, they chose to not have ISO be rooted from letters from words in their name since each language may have different words with different letters than "I" , "S" , and "O"  in different languages. Also order, may change from one language to the next. (Anyone recall "S.I." "System Internatonal" for standards? Damn those French! ;-)

Anyway, according to their site, , "ISO" is actually "iso" greek, meaning ~ "equal". So, if ISO should be Iso, (assuming iso as a proper noun would be capiiatlized) then where are we? Maybe they like having all letters of tehir name in caps. ISO... Hmmm.

Woo Hoo! I have so much fun doing this stuff. (causing trouble)

To refer to an image as an ISO is insufficient as there is risk of collision with word name and definition - even with context clues. Maybe the better name would be Iso9660 images, since Iso9660 is the standard and you are not referring to multiple standards, but multiple items created under the directions of the standard - hence the inclusion of the object "images". I would expect that referring to multiple Iso9660 images as multiple "Iso9660s" or "Isos" would be considered improper grammar or at least a limited implicit reference.

Isos, or ISOs ?= multiple International Standards Organizations  :-P

Iso9660s, or ISO9660s ?= multiple International Standards Organization 9660 specs? :-P

Iso9660 Images, or ISO9660 Images =? multiple International Standard Organization images meeting the 9660 specs.  =-)

ME - trouble-maker-quota for today has been filled.