2002 Jul 25 17:02

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

ME writes:
 > So long as I am not emotionally involved with my job, and my job is
 > not my life, there is no stress from job related duties.

Actually, this is exactly one of the decisions I've made about life in
general that I feel to be a stress-preventative one. Not that I never
become emotionally involved with my job (I strive, actually, only to
take jobs in which I do - but I may be meaning something different
than you); but that the instant my job crosses the line over to my
life, it is time to strengthen the wall that devides them.

 > Also, it is entirely possible to be professional without being
 > attached. However, it is difficult to be passionate about your work
 > without being emotional attached to it.

100% agreed. And as passion for work is something I consider a virtue
(if the job merits it, of course), I have no problem being emotionally
attached to it. But it's not really an attachment to a particular
company - it's more of an attachment to the work-content. Anyway, the
boundary is that I must always be more attached to my family, and my
life outside of work, than to my work.

-Micah