2002 Jul 25 16:19

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 09:53:50AM -0700, Doug Huckaba wrote:
> IMHO the level of stress is only determined by how you react to it.
[snip]

I will agree to a point. The work I do, and the demands they place upon me in what I complete at work do not stress me. What has stressed me, is my associates are my friends, and since the department has been restructured, my friends have been isolated and taken out of the department. (It is called "de-hiring".) They are being targetted for disconsideration to try to make them leave. If these people were not my friends, there would be no stress. The existance of stress is an indication I actually care about these people. To not have stress, is to lack concern, and this trivializes the relationship with my friends. :-(

For the most part, I will agree with you. So long as I am not emotionally involved with my job, and my job is not my life, there is no stress from job related duties. Also, it is entirely possible to be professional without being attached. However, it is difficult to be passionate about your work without being emotional attached to it.

-ME