2002 Jul 22 03:08

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

> rick, you stated (from my backup messages):
> me:    it's perfectly acceptable for a language to be a living thing. :)
> rick:  Just as it's permissible for you to be a surgeon.
>
> this looks like you don't approve of the language to be a living thing.
> if that wasn't the intention, you should try make yourself more clear.

Surgeons -=fix=- living things.  They are not in the business of killing
living things (at least, one hopes).

They cut out diseased portions.  They sew up things that are falling
apart.  Sometimes, they even insert foreign objects that help the
organism thrive.

What surgeons do _not_ do is say "WHOA!  I can't touch _that_.  It's
_living_.  Sorry."