2002 Jul 22 02:25

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > ok, in that case, you yourself are using incorrect english.
> >
> > http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm
> >
> > webster says that we use an apostrophe to denote plural in two
> > situations, one of the situations being a plural of a letter of the
> > alphabet.
> >
> > so get off your high horse and come muck around in the gutter with me.
> > :)
>
> I _like_ the gutter.  My mind lives there, after all.
>
> Byt I'm perfectly willing to discard, without regret, somebody's rule
> that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  You've just listed one.

and i've listed mine.   :)

note: i'm not saying i made up my mind about ISO's vs ISOs.  i'm just
playing devil's advocate with you.

my point is: we collectively use "modern english".  like the lawn
example.  sooner or later, a hundred years will go by and the language
changes.  there's nothing wrong with that; it's expected, natural and
healthy for a language to change with the people who speak it.

the only people who really write the punctuation within the double
quotes are pedantics who get their kicks from being different from
everybody.  sooner or later, that rule has to change.  nobody uses it.
so be it with ISOs vs ISO's.

pete (devil's advocate)