January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 22 02:03

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > i think using the apostrophe to mark the end of the acronym makes total
> > sense.  to use jim's example, but with nicole's way of writing it:
> >
> >    Mind your Ps and Qs.
> >
> > what exactly should i be minding?  should i be minding a "P" or should i
> > be minding a "Ps"?  nicole's method doesn't say; it's ambiguous.  the
> > apostrophe isn't just syntactic sugar.  it serves a purpose.
>
> As editor, I always stripped those apostrophes, considering them to
> create the spurious impression of either possession or a contraction --
> and _not_ being necessary to clarity.  That is, _given_ the lack of an
> apostrophe, context makes it seem (to the reader) extremely probable
> that the letter s is there to indicate plurals.

ok, in that case, you yourself are using incorrect english.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm

webster says that we use an apostrophe to denote plural in two
situations, one of the situations being a plural of a letter of the
alphabet.

so get off your high horse and come muck around in the gutter with me.
:)

pete