2002 Jul 22 14:14

Re: [vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 11:08:52PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > consider the following two sentences:
> >
> >    A) Getting Debian ISO's has always been a painful experience.
> >    B) Getting Debian ISOs has always been a painful experience.
> >
> > sentence B seems more correct, but to my eyes, sentence A looks more
> > pleasing; it just looks better with the apostrophe.
>
> A is a deplorable modern degeneration. B is the correct choice according to
> one style guide, and my personal preference as well. The reader can tell that
> the ess is not part of the acronym by its small case.

not good enough.  there are acronyms that use both upper and lower case.
particularly, medical acronyms for chemical names use both upper and
lower case.

not all acronyms use all uppercase.  what would you do to make the
sentence unambiguous in that case?

pete

ps- it's perfectly acceptable for a language to be a living thing. :)