2002 Jul 23 18:08

[vox] [OT] ISO's vs ISOs

Peter Jay Salzman writes:
 > consider the following two sentences:
 >
 >    A) Getting Debian ISO's has always been a painful experience.
 >    B) Getting Debian ISOs has always been a painful experience.

B is correct. However, I don't give a crap.

I use correct English when it is practical, and don't when it isn't.

Particularly in technical situations, it is often necessary to use
unambiguous but incorrect constructs over ambiguous but correct. I do
this all the time with quote marks, where the following punctuation
should be within the quotes; but doing so would give the false
impression that the punctuation is part of the exact sequence of
characters I'm trying to communicate.

Also, I generally avoid dangling prepositions; but there are some
sentences which sound *extremely* awkward when phrased in "Correct
English." (Oo look - period inside today :) ).

In the words of Winston Churchill: "There are some criticisms up with
which I will not put."

 > sentence B seems more correct, but to my eyes, sentence A looks more
 > pleasing; it just looks better with the apostrophe.

Aesthetics is more than enough reason for me. Though I haven't made up
my mind yet which one looks more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Grammar should codify actual practice - it should not enforce
impractical rules upon what is meant to be a means of communication.

My 2,
Micah