2002 Jul 20 13:56

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody Officially Released

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] Debian Woody Officially Released

redirected to vox...

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Matt Roper (matt@mattrope.com):
>
> > Anybody who uses Debian will probably be happy to hear that Woody (3.0)
> > was officially released today and replaces Potato as the "stable"
> > distribution.  Only two and a half months late...
>
> But the point is that, from the viewpoint of running systems, your news
> we're supposed to be "happy" about amounted to no change at all:
> Systems that were running Debian-stable yesterday are still running

you're right that not much has changed.  in fact, no packages on my
systems have been updated since yesterday.  kinda disappointing.  :)

but that does _not_ mean there's no cause to celebrate.  in fact, i
think it's a wonderful opportunity to celebrate -- the arrival of a new
debian stable release.

we often celebrate things which really don't mean much in a "real"
sense.   take birthdays.   what does your n'th birthday represent?   it
represents n * 365 (sometimes less, sometimes more) days since you were
born.  that seems significant until you start to wonder what a day is.

a day represents 1/365 of the distance the earth travels around the
sun.  sometimes less, sometimes more.

what birthdays really represent is the fact that the earth has reached
the same point in its orbit n times.  but even that's a crock, because
the gregorian calendar isn't exact.  so you're really celebrating the
fact that the earth has been "somewhere around the neighborhood" of
where it was when you were born n times.

viewed this way, a birthday is a very boring and sterile event.  but it
still has symbolic meaning to humans who grow up on terra.

i know you know all this.  what i'm trying to say is i think we should
be happy that woody has been released.  go ahead and pop open some brut,
or perhaps a beer.   let's have a party.

it's a wonderful time to reflect:

1. we've been blessed with the coolest OS on earth.
2. we've been blessed with the coolest friends.
3. debian has reached a new milestone in its history: its 3'rd birthday.

maybe we can celebrate by having a toy story or toy story 2 party
somewhere.   my livingroom can seat 3 comfortably or up to 5.  anyone
else with a DVD player and a larger living room who can donate space for
a toy story party?

i can bring some homebrewed british nut-brown ale...

pete