2002 Jul 25 16:10

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

Today, Micah Cowan wrote:

> ME writes:
>  > If my
>  > thoughts on this ever changed, i would probably shift into programming and
>  > adopt a thought much like yours. it is very good- spend time with your
>  > family and leave work at work. Less stress and quite healthy. :-)
>
> Low stress is one of my highest principles.
>
> ...although, it's worth saying that zero stress is not a goal. Zero
> stress equals zero motivation - I do like a *little* stress: just
> enough pressure to motivate me to actually get work done. :)  ...but
> not enough pressure that if more pressure from life-in-general is
> applied, or I fall a bit behind, that I am suddenly overwhelmed.

IMHO the level of stress is only determined by how you react to it. For a
period of time I worked in a very high stress environment, that is untill
I had worked in it for a while, then it became "normal". I learned how to
deal with the stress and found a sort of zen like state in the middle of
the maddness. I would run around like a chicken with it's head cut off,
just a giant ball of stress. Then I started looking around at others and
could see that for some it just didn't effect them. I learned how to deal
with it like they did and soon I was watching others running around like I
used to, and I'd stop them and say "relax, it's just work, it'll get
done". They just looked at me like I used to look at others.

After I left that job, I went to a very low stress job, and my work
suffered. like you say, no motivation. Now on that same job after 2 years
the stress is picking back up and I find myself in the same position I was
in previously. I had forgotten how to deal with the stress. Time to lean
all over again. The job is the job. Work comes in, every thing is top
priority for whoever is asking for it. That is a constant. They will
pressure you, that it a given. How you react to it is up to you, that is a
choice.

of course YMMV...

I'm sure there are those of you out there saying "But my situation is
differant". To that I challenge you to try just for once, when you're
blood pressure rises, and get all tense, feeling "it" comming on, take a
minute and just look at it objectivly you'll see what I'm talking about.
It can't really be explained (tho I continue to try), it must be
experienced to be understood.

-doug