2002 Jul 19 21:10

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Micah Cowan wrote:
> ME writes:
>  > > A skilled engineer should have no trouble finding a job - it's just
>  > > that the playing field has changed: in the dot-com days, you didn't
>  > > need any skills to get a tech job (JavaScript coders become Senior
>  > > Engineers :) ).
>  >
>  > First, I am in Sonoma County. Our TelComm valley is having a hard time
>  > with it all. Hopefully other parts of the state are doing better. I know
>  > of at least 4 people with BS degrees in CompSci who have not found jobs.
>
> Believe it or not, this doesn't really impress me - I know too many
> people with BS degrees but no real skills. But you'll have to be the
> judge of that.
>
> <snip>

They have skills, but almost all of the posts for jobs say things like,
"must be a citizen" or "will not process VISAs for non citizens." They
have skills - they worked for me before they graduated! ;-)

This is why I have an interest in helping them find jobs. If they don't
find work, they must go back home or go on to Masters/PhD.

>  > Where are you looking to find your job? I assume you are a programmer
>  > and/or hardware engineer. Is this true? Are you going to relocate? What
>  > kinds of limits [chop]
>
> ("[chop]"?)

yeah... ooops! [chop] is what I put for stuff I chop out of e-mail
messages. It appears I shopped the last paragraph of my reply (overzealous
chopping: chop -f :-)

Meant to say, "What kinds of limits do you have when you look for jobs
beyond the simple "pay"? Examples, relocation - how far?, career changes
- how much?, place to work, "no gov?" (you said you did not see yourself
woprking at a gov job.) Others?

> I am a Software Engineer, and was also a sysadmin for about a year. I
> haven't started looking for a job yet - I need some time to sit down
> and think about what I really want to do next.
>
> I am highly skilled in C, C++, Perl, HTML, XHTML, CSS2, XML, XSLT,
> etc. I also consider myself skilled in secadmin/sysadmin, but don't
> have much experience on paper.

Yes, I have seen jobs out there for this, but it is not where I want to
go. I think even UCB, UCLA, and Irvine have recently had job offers that
fit the above description nicely. There is still demand for these skills,
but these are not the skills I wish to apply. (Perhaps my list of
"demands" is too great.) I guess it is just like he whole, "I *can* do MS
Windows NT,2000,XP, Domain, Active Directory, Office, Access, MS SQL
Service, etc. and started the MCSE thing (it is really easy if you want to
do it) but that is not where I want to go. That is also employable, but
who wants to program in ASP? Blech. I want a stable job that is exciting,
fun, requires a great deal of control, attentions to details
with big implications and affords a lot of responsibility. Really, a job
where I get to do what I am doing now, but with more stuff to control and
manage.

-ME