2002 Jul 19 19:30

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

ME writes:
 > > A skilled engineer should have no trouble finding a job - it's just
 > > that the playing field has changed: in the dot-com days, you didn't
 > > need any skills to get a tech job (JavaScript coders become Senior
 > > Engineers :) ).
 >
 > First, I am in Sonoma County. Our TelComm valley is having a hard time
 > with it all. Hopefully other parts of the state are doing better. I know
 > of at least 4 people with BS degrees in CompSci who have not found jobs.

Believe it or not, this doesn't really impress me - I know too many
people with BS degrees but no real skills. But you'll have to be the
judge of that.

<snip>

 > Where are you looking to find your job? I assume you are a programmer
 > and/or hardware engineer. Is this true? Are you going to relocate? What
 > kinds of limits [chop]

("[chop]"?)

I am a Software Engineer, and was also a sysadmin for about a year. I
haven't started looking for a job yet - I need some time to sit down
and think about what I really want to do next.

I am highly skilled in C, C++, Perl, HTML, XHTML, CSS2, XML, XSLT,
etc. I also consider myself skilled in secadmin/sysadmin, but don't
have much experience on paper.

-Micah