2002 Jul 19 10:54

Re: [vox] computer won't start

It's a long shot, but you might try clearing out the CMOS. Most
motherboards have a jumper which you close, power on, power off, open,
then power on again. This causes the CMOS memory to clear and be
restored to default values.

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 06:44, Marc Hasbrouck wrote:
> Since I'm a hardware type, I'd start with checking the
> power setup. Can I assume you are in Kiev Russia? Is
> the power supply set to the correct voltage (220
> European or 110 US / Canada)?
>
> Another thing to check, with the power disconnected,
> is the seating of the cards and chips. Shipping can
> loosen things and cause system failures. You might
> have to push the cards back in to their slots.
>
> Bad power supplies are easily replaced (assuming a
> standard type was installed in the first place).
>
> Marc
>
> --- zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> >
> > My computer arrived here, in Kiev, a month ago and I
> > haven't been able to get it to
> > start.  Whenever I turn it on it runs for a minute
> > or two and the red light flashes like it's
> > going to start but during this entire time the
> > monitor doesn't activate; like it's in standby
> > mode.  Then the computer just turns itself off like
> > I had pulled the plug.
> > It's a windows 98 and I haven't had any problems
> > with it before.
> > The only thing I can think is that it was damaged in
> > the
> > shipment.
> > Any guesses as to how to get it started?
> >
> > -Zac
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson